follypop asked: Do you know of any events coming up in Durham that aren't pricy?
Great question! Holy cow - what a lovely time of the year to be out in the community!
"Frozen" outdoor screening » Thursday, April 17th, 7:45-9:30pm at Clocktower Quad on Duke’s West Campus
- Tickets are $5 or free with a Duke ID
Third Friday » Friday, April 18th, 6-11pm at various locations downtown, including Durham Arts Council, Bull City Arts Collaborative, Through This Lens, and more
- Gallery crawl with live music and other performances
- Maps available at each participating location
- For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Durham Earth Day Festival » Sunday, April 27th, 12-5pm at Durham Central Park, 501 Foster Street
- TheTriangle’s largest Earth Day celebration
- Earth Art Market
- Food, music, educational booths, and more
- New this year: E-cycling/Recycling Yard, Farmers Lane and TROSA Store
- FREE admission.
Moral Movie film series, hosted locally (in Durham) in conjunction with the NC NAACP and Working Films:
- "American Teacher" » Tuesday, April 29th, 7pm at Motorco, 723 Rigsbee Avenue
- "American Winter" » Thursday, May 29th, 7pm at Full Frame Theater in the center of the American Tobacco Campus, 320 Blackwell Street
- "Freedom Summer" » Thursday, June 26th, 7pm at Hayti Heritage Center, 804 Old Fayetteville Street
- "Inequality For All" » Thursday, July 31st, 6:30pm at Durham County Public Library Auditorium, 300 North Roxboro Street
- The Durham Farmer’s Market, my favorite community gathering. Great to walk around. No need to get anything. Just nice to see everyone out together. Open Saturdays 8am-12pm and Wednesdays 3:30-6:30.
*Hope to see you around!
Don’t feel entitled to anything you don’t sweat and struggle for.
—Marian Wright Edelman
Highly recommend this recipe from the Simply in Season cookbook. SO delicious. Really hit the spot. I think Megan used chickpeas instead of black beans when she made it the other night, but I imagine you could mix it up a lot with great success!
follypop asked: I lived in Durham for the last 8 years and I appriciate your blog because it gives me a perspective about Durham I never made for myself. Thank You!
That makes me so happy :) Thank you for sharing!
It’s a special place we have here. Hope I see you around Durham!
SO good to see Jamie and her family while visiting Vernon and Betty. Some of the warmest, most fun-loving people. Thankful to know them.